Allowances for Funeral Expenses

The person responsible for paying the funeral account is the one who signs the authorisation for the funeral to be conducted. A pre-paid funeral plan will eliminate or reduce costs at the time of arranging a funeral, depending on the type of contract.

If you wish to discuss funeral costs in more specific detail, please feel free to contact us. We are always available for advice and there is never any obligation on your part.

What allowances are made for funeral expenses?

Centrelink does offer a variety of bereavement payments if you are an Australian resident, a basic description of which is shown below.

Married Pensioners: The surviving partner will receive a further 14 weeks of their spouse's pension. This is usually paid in a lump sum.

Single Pensioners: The estate will receive one full pension payment after the person's death.

Carers Pension: The carer is entitled to a further 14 weeks pension following the death and this will be paid in fortnightly repayments. If the deceased was single/widowed/divorced, there may be an additional lump sum payment.

Sole Parent Pension: The parent is entitled to a further 14 weeks following death and this will be paid in a lump sum.

Surviving Spouse - Bereavement Allowance Pension: If the surviving spouse does not have sufficient means to support themselves, the bereavement allowance is available for 14 weeks of payments.

Widows Allowance: If the surviving wife has no recent workforce experience and she is over 50, she may be entitled to regular payments.

Other allowances may be payable through the following institutions:

  • Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Insurance Companies
  • Transport Accident Commission (VIC)
  • Some private health funds
  • Unions

The following can provide information on allowances which may be payable if you are a member of the immediate family of a homicide victim:

  • Victims Compensation Tribunal (NSW)
  • Victims of Crime Compensation Unit (QLD)
  • Victims Support Service (WA)
  • Victims Support Service (SA)
  • Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VIC)
  • Victims of Crime (ACT)

Please Note: Entitlements can change without notice and we recommend you contact your nearest Centerlink Office for further information on 13 23 00.